Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Transition to Running Daily


Running every day was not simple.

It’s an unforgivable exercise deemed useless with the invention of the car and the scooter. The agony of continuously slamming your feet onto the pavement is only heightened by the breathless gasps, the tortuous side stitch and the awkward eye contact of other passing runners (Do you say hello, or just run past them like they don’t exist? Dilemmas!)

Despite the undeniable horrors of running, I still decide to run nearly every day. I can’t say that I’m in love with it like the dedicated marathoners. Similar to my neighbor’s music whose I can listen to lyric for lyric, I tolerate it. It’s been a slow change from using reruns of Law and Order as an excuse to not run to being able to run daily. 

But there’s something indisputable about the joys of running. Never before have I ever been able to have alone time away from technology and people and actually appreciate the flowers blooming for spring or the color of the sky as the sun sets. I’ve had the pleasure of being acquainted with several dogs in the neighborhood. Shallowest of all, but most likely most motivating, I can tell my friends, “Yeah, I just got back from a run. It was great” What’s better than proving to your peers that you do exercise? 


In all actuality, running is versatile commodity. It relinquishes me from technology, allows for true appreciation of budding nature and a bragging right to peers. Oh, and did I mention a slimmer figure? 



Photo Credit: EveryStockPhoto (slgckgc)

6 comments:

Juliet Polilova said...

working out is really cool when you feel that something is wrong...good post


very nice blog by the way :)

kisses from Russia,
Juliet
RUSSIAN DOLL

EM said...

That too!
Thanks, Juliet!

Angel E. said...

this made me miss running! just found your blog dear :) you've got a new follower!

EM said...

It's great, isn't it?
Thanks, Angel!

demi van de liefvoort said...

I love this post! I also run about 2-3 times a week on the days I don't have my kickbox training and just like you I don't love it but I also don't hate it. It just became a habit, kinda. And just the fact that you can say you just came back from a run feels great! xx

EM said...

Thanks for being so honest, Demi! Love how we can both agree that running isn't the best thing..but it isn't the worst thing.
Thanks for reading, Demi!

Post a Comment